Re: Using Mathematica remotely (installed on Mac, to be accessed from X)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg113135] Re: Using Mathematica remotely (installed on Mac, to be accessed from X)
  • From: Pierre Albarede <pa.news at free.fr>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 23:29:31 -0400 (EDT)

Hello

On 23 sep, 10:23, "perda... at gmail.com" <perda... at gmail.com> wrote:

> screen sharing is just such a waste of bandwidth when all I want is a
> Notebook front end :-)

I agree.  Screen sharing is a very unefficient way to use the
network.  Typically, it will only work smoothly within a local
network.

Moreover, screen sharinf is also a waste of your time : if you do not
have total control on the remote machine, you will have problems.

Indeed, screen sharing will not work if somebody else is using the
screen or if there is no screen or if the screen is locked.
Inversely, if you keep the remote screen unlocked at all times, then
you will have a security problem on the remote machine !

Nothing compares with X11 for remote work, essentially because the
graphical server is LOCAL.

> I wonder if my Mathematica license is tied to the Mac or whether
> it could be installed on a linux box too -- whithout the two instances running at the same time?

Unfortunately, the licence is exclusive for one system.  4 systems are
supported : Mac, Linux, Windows, Unix (like Sun).  For historical and
commercial reasons, Mac and linux are separate from Unix.  You can
switch from one system to another, at no charge with Premier service.
With normal licence, you will need to pay.  With student or home
licence, probably, you will need to buy a new licence.

For what you intend to do, linux seems better.  You can install linux
on a virtual machine on the Mac.  Hopefully, Wolfram Research will
lend you a licence for trial.