Platform LSF and Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg113188] Platform LSF and Mathematica
  • From: Zach Bjornson <bjornson at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 06:06:36 -0400 (EDT)

Hello, hello!

Does anyone have experience using Mathematica on a Platform LSF cluster?
Specifically:

1. Local instances of Mathematica (on a local host) are apparently able
to integrate with LSF clusters via the Cluster Integration configuration
panel in Parallel Kernel Configuration. There is virtually no
documentation for this though. Methods? (I have to use a client like
cygwin to ssh from Windows into this cluster, which adds another layer
of complexity.)

2. GridMathematica isn't running on this cluster [yet] so I'm stuck
using LSF. I can reserve an entire machine (8 cores) with bsub -x, but
dispatch takes forever and I'm limited to 8 kernels. How does
Mathematica handle jobs that are instead dispatched with e.g. bsub -n 8
(so there would be slots on 1 to 8 different machines)? Where the
kernels sit seems to be an issue: for example, if I submit a job with
bsub [-n 1 implied], then LaunchKernels[] in Mathematica, 8 kernels
launch representing the 8 kernels on the machine that my job slot is on,
even though I only reserved 1 slot; if I bsub -n 2 -R "span[hosts=2]"
(have each slot on a different host), will I get 16 kernels that M can
communicate with?

Any advice related to M on LSF would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Zach