Re: Using Mathematica remotely (installed on Mac, to

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg113180] Re: Using Mathematica remotely (installed on Mac, to
  • From: Pierre Albarede <pa.news at free.fr>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 06:05:07 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

On Oct 16, 6:17 pm, Arturas Acus <Arturas.A... at tfai.vu.lt> wrote:
> I do not agree. Xvnc servers are smart enough that for practical purposes
> you do not feel any difference. You even can live rotate 3d graphics
> remotely.
> Xvnc servers compress data and they send only differences over what
> had changed. Also You can adjust quality, compression level and resolutio=
> according to
> your needs. Security is also not a problem because you can easily tunel
> it over ssh.

Right.

> I would suggest to try it practically. Few years ago I started to use
> this approach  (over 64kb/s line from home) instead of connecting to
> remote kernel. From practical side
> advantages were obvious.

This is exactly what I have done (again - to check my point).  Screen
sharing from Mac (macbook pro with Mac OS X.6) to Mac (macbook with
10.4) over the network.  The server was on ADSL line so that I only
had a small outcoming speed < 2 Mbit/s.  Display was a bit sluggish
but acceptable.  There is a few second lag when moving windows.

It is possible to see any user's screen or the login screen.

However, in spite of setting sleep preferences to as little as
possible, after some time, the server screen may become black, which
corresponds to a locked white screen on the client side.  Unlocking
may be achieved by typing on the server keyboard, which requires
physical access.  I think that I managed to unlock also by running ssh
but I am not sure.  This is cumbersome to check.  There may be a bug
in Mac screen sharing or sleep preferences.

As far as I remember, vnc with a linux server (Fedora 7) may also
require physical access, in particular, if the server screen is locked
or if I log out.  Thus, if I want to vnc my linux server, then I must
leave the screen unlocked, which is a security issue : somebody can
simply use the machine while I am away !

My conclusion so far is that establishing a vnc connection often
requires physical access to server and badly interferes with server
screen security or energy saving systems.

Moreover, if somebody else is using the server (unique) screen,
obviously, you cannot work, as opposed to ssh -Y that does not use
server screen.

Cheers.