Mimicking the TI calculator graph "trace" function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg113191] Mimicking the TI calculator graph "trace" function
  • From: John Accardi <accardi at accardi.com>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 05:46:29 -0400 (EDT)

Hello ....

I'm trying to find the easiest way to get Mathematica to do what a TI-84
calculator does with the "trace" button on a graph.  (displays x,y
coordinates at tracing cursor positions).  Alternately, I could live
with having the intersection point(s) of two graphs dynamically display,
with label(s), on a plot, along with the function graphs.  I know I can
do this in a table of values, but I want to see point and label on the
graph plot.

This document describes much of it, but you have to hard code the
solution point to create the point label:

http://amath.colorado.edu/computing/Mathematica/labelpoints/

(The above document contains a link to the *.nb being described.)

I guess I am looking for any code that exists where the point label is
created dynamically after a solution point is calculated and included in
the plot.

This seems like a very common thing to want to do but I cannot seem to
find anything in the archive/forum that does anything like this.

Thanks for any insights.

Gianni