Interpolation undocumented error

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg113232] Interpolation undocumented error
  • From: "Hyatt, John S" <jshyatt at gatech.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 04:06:15 -0400 (EDT)

I am trying to use Interpolation to get an interpolation function of multidimensional data from light scattering.  I specifically want to be able to calculate the value of the function at any point within certain parameters.  I have entered the data points as usual into Interpolation, but receive an error message:

"Interpolation::indim: The coordinates do not lie on a structured tensor product grid."

This error is undocumented in the Mathematica Help as far as I can tell, and I don't know what the error means (i.e. what is a structured tensor product grid).  After searching the web for other people with the same issue, I found only one thread on Wolfram's archives where the Imtek Mathematica Supplement was suggested as a fix and seemed to help the person.  However, the IMS seems to be intended for use with an earlier version of Mathematica (I have v7.0) and the installation instructions in any case aren't applicable to this version.  Is there a fix for this in Mathematica, or does anyone know of any way to get the interpolation function I am looking for?  Would uninstalling Mathematica and installing version 6 followed by the IMS be the only way to fix this?

Thanks in advance for any help,
John H