Re: Keeping global parameters in an evaluated function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg113271] Re: Keeping global parameters in an evaluated function
  • From: Leonid Shifrin <lshifr at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 07:03:23 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Davide,

Looks like your guess about initial evaluation of the function is correct.
If you restrict your argument to be numeric, you get what you want:

In[84]:=
Clear[ff];
ff[x_?NumericQ] := (x - c)^4
c = 1;
iterations = 1;
FindMinimum[ff[x], {x, 1001}, StepMonitor :> {c = c/2; iterations++}]
Print[{c // N, iterations}]

Out[88]= {1.0531*10^-30, {x -> 3.20345*10^-8}}

During evaluation of In[84]:= {5.16988*10^-26,85}

Regards,
Leonid