Re: From list to list of arguments

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg113308] Re: From list to list of arguments
  • From: Roger Wilson <rogerhw999 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 07:04:55 -0400 (EDT)

Answer to your aux. question...

f[x___] x can be anything including nothing and including any number
of things (x is a Sequence which in mathematica is a kind of naked
list).

So f[x___]:=Print[{x}] will do the following...

f[] will print {}
f[1] will print {1}
f[1,2] will print {1,2}
f[1,a,"Hello"] will print {1,a,"Hello"} (Quotes will not show up when
printed but they're there)

I use f[x___]=$Failed a lot, its a catchall definition of x which
means I have called it with the wrong parameters.