Re: More Mathematica CAN'T do than CAN???

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg113352] Re: More Mathematica CAN'T do than CAN???
  • From: Leonid Shifrin <lshifr at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 06:39:24 -0400 (EDT)

Nicholas,

I think the statement that Mathematica can or can not do something is not
 meaningful
without specifying the exact problem. And in any case, the point is not that
Mathematica
can do this or that, but that the user of Mathematica is able to do a lot
more with it
than without it. A lot depends on the user. Mathematica is not just a
system, but an
extensible and powerful programming language. If it is missing some feature,
you can
teach it. But as any sophisticated tool, it requires some time investment of
the user's
side. So the users who count on "out of the box" solutions for non-trivial
problems may
sometimes be disappointed. This situation is not specific to Mathematica
though, this
is true for any tool. In fact, I find it quite amazing how much Mathematica
*can* do out
of the box.

Regards,
Leonid