Re: How to "soft-code" a Block?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg113354] Re: How to "soft-code" a Block?
  • From: Leonid Shifrin <lshifr at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 06:39:47 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Daniel,

Your first attempt can be modified to work:

Unevaluated[Block[vals,expr]]/.OwnValues[vals]

gives a result equivalent to the hard-coded block. Your suggestion with
rules looks too complex to me in this context (I used a similar construct
but in very different situations). The way to make a really simple run-time
Block would be to wrap your declaration list in Hold:

heldvals = Hold[{a=b,c=3,b=c}];

Now, the following simple function will work:

ClearAll[runtimeBlock];
SetAttributes[runtimeBlock,HoldRest];
runtimeBlock[Hold[vars_List],body]:=Block[vars,body];

You use it as

runtimeBlock[heldvals,{a,b,c}]

or

expr = {a,b,c}
runtimeBlock[heldvals,expr]

Alternatively, the following will also work:

Block@@Append[heldvals,Unevaluated[expr]]

While I checked the results on a different PC, I typed this manually here,
so there
could be some typos.

Hope this helps.

Regards,