Re: How to combine Mathematica graphics and Python code?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg113376] Re: How to combine Mathematica graphics and Python code?
  • From: Zach Bjornson <bjornson at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 05:33:18 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

I think the prettiest thing (though still not "easy" per se) would be to
use MathLink to call Mathematica's plotting functions from Python.
There's an extensive MathLink developer's guide in the documentation.
(No, I take that back. The prettiest thing would be to get your
colleagues to switch from Python to Mathematica.)

A step down from MathLink in Py would be to use Python's system commands
(equivalents to Run and RunThrough in Mathematica) to interact with math
(the kernel, not Mathematica the front-end). This is probably the
easiest thing you could do. You could either require Mathematica code to
be fed to the kernel, or write a translation function to go from Py to M
as it suits you. Depends if the things you'll be plotting are all
similar or if each graph will require tailoring; for the former a
translator would be less practical. In py it would probably go something
like:

def mathematicaplot (data, options):
	# export your data using e.g. csvwriter and tempfile.tempdir as the
location
	os.popen('math -noprompt Export["(*some temp file*).PDF", Plot[
Import[(*wherever you exported your data above*)], options]')
	os.popen('(*your temp file*).PDF')
	return

A step-up would be to make your own front end or IDE that controls both
Python and Mathematica. Again MathLink can be used for this; I doubt
there's an equivalent for Python, but the source code is available so
you can do whatever you want.

You could also entirely build Python into Mathematica (again refer to
the external connectivity documentation from Wolfram). I think this
would take a while... :)

Trafficking symbols/variables/objects between the two kernels (which
will be in a non-shared memory space) is going to be a trick. The ideas
above using MathLink will handle this, but using unmanaged communication
(2nd option) means exchanging data via stdin or files, as done in the
mini example. Unfortunately there's no native specification shared by
the two languages (like Mathematica has .mx).

Hope that helps,
Zach