Re: Visualization for Dummies

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg113456] Re: Visualization for Dummies
  • From: Daniel Huber <dh at metrohm.com>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 06:29:22 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Hauke,
in vibrational analysis the displacements of atoms are given as vectors
(e.g. of the maximal or relative amplitudes), either in absolute or
internal coordinates. For a graphics you need them in absolute coordinates.
To get a nice movie, you need to multiply these displacement vectors by
a time dependend factor, e.g. Sin[w t] where t is the time and w the
frequeny (needed if you have more than one normal mode simultaniously).
The atom position at time t would then be:
equilibrium position+ Sin[w t] displacement vector.
With this you can now create a bunch of graphics for different times.
cheers, Daniel