Re: 2 dimensional engineering problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg112178] Re: 2 dimensional engineering problem
  • From: Fred Klingener <gigabitbucket at BrockEng.com>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 06:10:34 -0400 (EDT)

On Sep 1, 6:27 am, Dave Francis <suilvenassocia... at googlemail.com>
wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a friend in a manufacturing business who, I think, needs
> Mathematica to solve a problem. Could anyone here tell me if the
> following is possible and perhaps if they would be interested in
> taking on the project for a fee?
>
> Here's the problem... It is purely 2 dimensional cam-follower type
> puzzle

What you describe is a desmodromic (Greek: desmo = bound, dromos path) valve train, and Mathematica is well suited to design and
analysis. The arrangement is famous for its appearance in high
performance internal combustion engines by Ducati (current
motorcycles) and Mercedes Benz (mid-fifties Grand Prix racing cars.)

Take a look at the Demonstration http://demonstrations.wolfram.com/DesmodromicValveTrain/
for a start. That's a rendering of an existing design; the approach to
synthesis would be different but would share some ideas.

After you knock off your new animated, interactive design with a few
dense lines of Mathematica code, contemplate the evolution of the
process, in a single generation of engineers, from push pins and
tracing paper and pencils and lots and lots of erasers.

Hth,
Fred Klingener