Re: Finite Groups...infinite disappoinment

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg112243] Re: Finite Groups...infinite disappoinment
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2010 04:15:42 -0400 (EDT)

On 05/09/10 12:08, magma wrote:
> I have just checked some basic info using FiniteGroupData.
> I was looking for some MultiplicationTable for some groups.
>
> Indeed you can get the MultiplicationTable for the Quaternion group
> without a problem
>
> FiniteGroupData["Quaternion", "MultiplicationTable"]
>
> but no such luck with many/most other groups.
>
> For example:
>
> FiniteGroupData["C2", "MultiplicationTable"]
>
> and also
>
> FiniteGroupData["D4", "MultiplicationTable"]
>
> both return  Missing[NotAvailable]
>
> Consulting the wonderful wizard of W.Alfa you get....
> well exactly the same.
> No MultiplicationTable for either group.
> Considering that the MultiplicationTable is what makes a group tick,
> the lack of this info is quite astonishing. Especially after several
> months/years since first creating these "curated" data.
>
> I might also , but I won't, bother you with such minute things as
> ParticleData. Well...let's just say that many had to postpone their
> backyard particle accelerators for lack of crucial data in Mathematica.
>
> On the other end, if you consult the wonderful wizard of W.Alfa on the
> word "ketchup" you get all you ever wanted to know - and most of what
> you never dreamt of asking - about the ubiquitous red sauce.
>
> So will you join me in the worldwide chorus of people asking the
> "saucy" question:
>
> <<  Dear WRI, when will you finally "ketch-up" with your curated data?
>>>

> PS
> In truth, W.Alfa is a wonderful dictionary and a great source of
> nutritional info. You can already get from it the detailed - and
> correct - recipe for "Tiramisu" (a traditional Italian dessert, which
> is increasingly getting attention on worldwide dining tables), but
> typing "caprese salad" still leaves you hungry for more info.
> Finally if you type "recipe", you will get a mouth-watering half-
> promise from WRI, which we all hope will be fulfilled in the very near
> future.

My feeling is that you hit the nail on the head - the idea of curated
data over such a broad range is basically not possible. Another such
area is chemical information, thus you are rewarded by:

ChemicalData["Caffeine"]

however

ChemicalData["Copper Sulphate"]

or

ChemicalData["Copper Sulfate"]

(I tried both spellings) yielded nothing. Copper sulphate was the first
chemical that I tried in my new chemistry set about 50 years ago!

David Bailey

http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk