Re: locating overlow/underflow

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg112247] Re: locating overlow/underflow
  • From: Leslaw Bieniasz <nbbienia at cyf-kr.edu.pl>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2010 06:36:24 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your comments. I have reduced the range of y, and I am now
obtaining results without any error messages. However, this exercise
raises my doubts whether the desired "arbitrary precision" is indeed
reached, especially when y approaches 100. The program output yields
infinity for the number of valid significant digits, but how many
digits can I really trust if I declare 70 digits? Shouldn't the output
contain warnings if the number of valid digits is smaller than 70?
I don't perhaps need as many as 70, something like 30 would be enough,
but I need to be sure that I really have that accuracy.
I don't know how all that works, but I can imagine MATHEMATICA should
automatically allocate appropriately more bytes to the floating point
representations used, if the current number of bytes is insufficient.
There are algorithms that can do that, I believe, like interval
arithmetics? How can I check whether the accuracy is indeed as I want it
to be?

Leslaw