Re: How to delay action of ...[[i]] (Part[...,i])

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg112300] Re: How to delay action of ...[[i]] (Part[...,i])
  • From: Scott Graham <greylander at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 00:59:26 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Leonid,

Thanks for you insights.

Hopefully I have not inadvertently started a great debate.  I was speaking
loosely when referring to the "core" language.  I merely refer to
functionality is defined in Mathematica "by default", whether part of the
kernel or defined at a higher level.

It may well be that NDSolve is one of the few places that the issue of
indexing lists before they are instantiated is likely to come up.  But I
imagine more than a few new Mathematica users may come to it initially to
solve differential equations numerically (people coming from a physics
background, for example), and the counter-intuitive manner in which indexing
works is likely to frustrate them and make them go back to using Fortran or
C before they have taken the time to understand what I have just figured out
for myself (I happen to be very stubborn... and I happened to have some free
time).  Also people coming from a more traditional programming background
will have certain intuitions regarding indexing of lists and arrays that
will lead to confusion if and when what looks to them like an array index,
[[]], surprisingly dismembers an expression.

At the very least, an additional paragraph or two of explanation in the
documentation for List[], Part[], and NDSolve[], perhaps in the "Possible
Issues" section, would go a long way.

Cheers,
Scott