Re: FindRoots?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg112331] Re: FindRoots?
  • From: "Ingolf Dahl" <ingolf.dahl at telia.com>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 05:31:10 -0400 (EDT)

To Andrzej Kozlowski and MathGroup,
Yes, I was too harsh in using the word "snobbery". But I feel that it is not
good to let the best (the Semenov method?) be an enemy of the good
(RootSearch), when the Semenov method not yet is fully implemented. You have
argued for the capabilities of Reduce to find zeroes, so I wonder of course
if a routine based on the Semenov method would fail in a similar way. So
much better if it does not. Maybe we should ask MathGroup, if there is
anyone willing to implement your demonstrations as a more general package?
The code does not look too difficult, even if I not immediate gasp all
details (I usually don't). And as usual, the hell might be in the details.

However, in order to implement the Semenov method and to obtain provable
results, you state that there are "certain mild conditions" that must be
fulfilled. These conditions seem to be that the program needs to obtain
explicit and valid upper bounds for the first and second derivatives. The
task to find these bounds cannot be automated in a provable way in the
general case, so one problem has effectively been replaced by another. One
could put the responsibility to solve this second problem on the user, but I
cannot see such a solution as superior. Nevertheless, there seems to be
niches where the Semenov method might be very useful, especially in the
multidimensional case, so it should be worth the effort to create a full
implementation. I doubt that such an implementation will be option-free -
would it not be nice to have an "Automatic" way of estimating the bounds of
the derivatives? But then some roots might be missed.

Best regards

Ingolf Dahl

http://demonstrations.wolfram.com/SemenovsAlgorithmForSolvingSystemsOfNonlin
earEqu