Re: Help with Solve

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg112339] Re: Help with Solve
  • From: "Sjoerd C. de Vries" <sjoerd.c.devries at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 04:47:45 -0400 (EDT)

Use Reduce instead of Solve. In the words of the documentation
(tutorial/SolvingEquations):

"Solve is set up to give you generic solutions to equations. It
discards any solutions that exist only when special constraints
between parameters are satisfied.

If you use Reduce instead of Solve, Mathematica will however keep all
the possible solutions to a set of equations, including those that
require special conditions on parameters."

Cheers -- Sjoerd