Datapoint label spacing

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg112457] Datapoint label spacing
  • From: Chris Degnen <degnen at cwgsy.net>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 05:59:30 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, Does anyone have suggestions on how to label datapoints so the
labels are optimally placed, and not overlapping each other?  (Example
of the problem below.)

I expect this will require a fair amount of coding, and thought maybe
the graph utilities package could find some application here.  I don't
suppose there's a built-in function I've overlooked.  Suggestions
appreciated.

data = Transpose[{RandomSample[Range[50], 20] + 20,
    RandomSample[Range[50], 20] + 20}];
plot = ListPlot[data, PlotRange -> {{0, 100}, {0, 100}}];
labels = Text[ToString[Round[#]], # + {0, 5}] & /@ plot[[1, 2, 1]];
plot[[1]] = Join[plot[[1]], labels];
plot