Re: A little help with sort

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg112511] Re: A little help with sort
  • From: James Stein <mathgroup at stein.org>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 07:24:30 -0400 (EDT)

I think the following will solve your problem.
order: needs no explanation.
sort124: sorts as you desire:
  by column 1; then by column2; then reversed by column 4.
sort: generalizes this, allowing you to specify a sorting "scheme"

Clear[order, sort124, sort, scheme];
order[a_, b_, i_] := Order[a[[i]], b[[i]]];
sort124[a_, b_] := Module[{o},
   If[(o = order[a, b, 1]) == 0,
    If[(o = order[a, b, 2]) == 0,
     o = -order[a, b, 4]