Troubles connecting to Linux remote kernel from Linux workstation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg112589] Troubles connecting to Linux remote kernel from Linux workstation
  • From: Drew Harris <dbharris at uvic.ca>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 02:05:36 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

I'm having trouble connecting from my workstation, running RHEL 5.5/Mathematica 7 to a virtual machine running RHEL 5.5/Mathematica 7.  I'm able to SSH to the remote machine from my workstation and I've added the proper RSA keys.  I followed http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/howto/ConnectToARemoteKernel.html but was unable to get a remote kernel running.

These are my arguments to MLOpen:
-LinkMode Listen -LinkProtocol TCPIP -LinkOptions MLDontInteract

and this is the shell command:
`java` -jar `mathssh` dbharris at xxx.xxx.xxx.xx MathKernel -mathlink -LinkMode Connect -LinkProtocol TCPIP -LinkName "`linkname`" -LinkHost `ipaddress`

I've tried various hints from forums/previous mailing list entries to no avail (replacing 'ipaddress' with my IP address).

When I try to start the remote kernel, I am prompted for the remote user password, which I enter, and then I recieve the error:
The kernel VM1 failed to connect to the front end. (Error = MLECONNECT). You should try running the kernel connection outside the front end.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Drew Harris
E.Eng Undergraduate