Mathematica 7 fonts question (Mac OS X 10.6)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg112591] Mathematica 7 fonts question (Mac OS X 10.6)
  • From: Drew Harris <dbharris at uvic.ca>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 02:05:57 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

I've got a question regarding the installation of Mathematica fonts on a remote machine.  I use a Macbook running Mac OS X 10.6.4 and NoMachine NXClient to connect to my RHEL5.5 workstation (which is running Mathematica 7 and NoMachine NXServer).  When I try to run Mathematica, the program reports that it cannot find the proper fonts, though I have run the following instructions:

  OS X fonts

The steps to configuring the Mathematica fonts on a Mac OS X machine are:

   1. Download the Mathematica 7 fonts from http://support.wolfram.com/technotes/MathematicaV7FontsMac.zip

   2. Put the fonts where the Apple X11 server will find them, in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts

          You should create a subdirectory in there; the name mathematica would make sense.

   3. Untar the file in the directory you just created
   4. Regenerate the fonts.dir file (otherwise Mathematica will crash) with 'mkfontdir SVG Type1'
   5. To see what fonts X already knows about, run 'xset q' and look for the directories specified by "Font Path."
   6. Add the font database to X

          Type 'xset fp+ /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/mathematica/SVG,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/mathematica/Type1 ; xset fp rehash' to do this to the current session. You can then use 'xset q' to see that X knows about the Mathematica fonts.
   # At this point, xset q displays the location of the Mathematica fonts.

This worked fine on my 10.4 iBook, but Mathematica (running in NX, which runs in X11) still cannot find the proper fonts.

Thanks,

Drew Harris
E.Eng Undergraduate
drewbharris.com