Function to differentiate and evaluate any function of several variables

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg112600] Function to differentiate and evaluate any function of several variables
  • From: Faysal Aberkane <faysal.aberkane at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 01:57:50 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

I've just written a handy function to differentiate and evaluate at
the same time any function of several variables.

Here it is.

DD::usage = "DD[f_[params__],diffVars__] where params are the
parameters where we evaluate the differentiated function f and
diffVars is a sequence {variableNumber,differentialOrder} to
differentiate f.";

SetAttributes[DD, HoldFirst];
DD[f_[params__]] := f[params];
DD[f_[params__], diffVars__] :=
  Module[{diffList},
      diffList = ConstantArray[0, Length@{params}];
      MapThread[(diffList[[#1]] = #2) &, Transpose[{diffVars}]];
      Derivative[##][f][params] & @@ diffList
   ];

Example:
f[x_, y_] := x^4 y^2;
DD[f[1, 2], {2, 1}, {1, 3}] (*returns 96*)

Should make it easier to rapidly work with derivatives in Mathematica.

Cheers