Re: Using Mathematica remotely (installed on Mac, to be accessed from X)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg112592] Re: Using Mathematica remotely (installed on Mac, to be accessed from X)
  • From: Pierre Albarede <pa.news at free.fr>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 01:56:24 -0400 (EDT)

On Sep 21, 8:03 am, "perda... at gmail.com" <perda... at gmail.com> wrote:

 > But is it possible to run an X11 enabled Mathematica front end on Mac
> OS X and thereby getting it to display remotely?

Hi,

the Mac front end actually runs on Aqua (Mac OS X graphical interface)
not X11 (a Unix or Linux graphical interface).  However, as X11 is
also part of Mac OS, it would make sense to make a Mac/X11 front end,
but only Wolfram Reasearch can do that and they certainly have more
important things to do.

Here we see a strong limitation of Mac OS X Aqua, as opposed to linux
X11 : no Aqua application can run remotely (the Mac is indeed a
personal computer).

Would Mac OS X server help here ?

However, you can
- use screen sharing or
- create a virtual linux machine on the Mac, install Mathematica for
Linux and run it remotely with X11.

X11 tunneling is performed with ssh -X or ssh -Y.  What about privacy
of X11 ?

I would really appreciate if this discussion was followed up by unix
geeks !