Re: How do I test for existence of a list element? Clarified

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg112696] Re: How do I test for existence of a list element? Clarified
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 05:47:24 -0400 (EDT)

The function Check is (probably) what you are looking for.

list == {a, b, c, d};

 x == Check[list[[60]], {}]
During evaluation of In[69]:== Part::partw:Part 60 of {a,b,c,d} does not exist. >>
{}

You can use whatever you like instead of {}. If you don't want to see the error message you don't have to:

x==Quiet[Check[list[[60]],{}]]
{}

Andrzej Kozlowski