Re: Graphics3D without perspective

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg112710] Re: Graphics3D without perspective
  • From: ADL <alberto.dilullo at tiscali.it>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 06:02:53 -0400 (EDT)

On 27 Set, 11:48, ADL <alberto.dilu... at tiscali.it> wrote:
> I would like to obtain a 3D plot, which can be rotated interactively,
> but without any perspective effects (so that the front and back faces
> of the picture generated by Graphics3D[] can superimpose perfectly).
>
> This can be achieved easily in Martin Kraus' Live3D Java applet, and
> even the degree of perspective can be changed interactively, but I
> could not find an option to do this in the Mathematica frontend.
>
> Any Idea?
>
> ADL

Now, I found a solution myself:

Graphics3D[Cuboid[],
  ViewPoint -> {0, -10000, 0},
  ViewAngle -> 1.3 / 10000,
  ViewVertical -> {0, 0, 1}
]

behaves as I wanted.
The ViewPoint must be very far and the ViewAngle a little bit bigger
than the angle of the object seen from that far.

I still could not find a way to interactively change the perspective
level.

By the way, I am surprised by the fact that Manipulate does not seem
to work on this:

Manipulate[
  Graphics3D[Cuboid[],
    ViewPoint -> {0, -10^p, 0},
    ViewAngle -> 1.3/10^p,
    ViewVertical -> {0, 0, 1}
  ],
    {p, 0.3, 4, 0.1}
]

does not change the perspective while p is changed.
Who knows why?

ADL