Re: calculate vertex of a parabola

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg112715] Re: calculate vertex of a parabola
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 06:03:48 -0400 (EDT)

In his "Presentations" add-on application, David Park has a function
CompleteTheSquare that can save you the effort of carrying out the
manipulations:

   <<Presentations`

   CompleteTheSquare[a x^2 + b x + c, x] // InputForm
-b^2/(4*a) + c + a*(b/(2*a) + x)^2

(I used InputForm so as to produce linear output suitable for e-mail.)

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305