4 Gb are not enough ...

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg112792] 4 Gb are not enough ...
  • From: enrico tagola <enrico.tagola at hotmail.it>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 04:53:55 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Mathgroup

My PC ( Dell 7400 con 4 gb ram win xp professional x64 sp2 )
runs out of memory when performing some computation; I have
just tried extensively to fix the concern following the guide lines given in

http://forums.wolfram.com/mathgroup/archive/2008/Oct/msg00551.html
How to reduce memory usage of the MathKernel.exe?
  a) you should set th global variable $HistoryLength=0
  b) you should call Share[] periodical, but not to often
  c) it depends on your computation if ClearSystemCache[] helps

but still it won't work fine.

I would be pleased to receive any hint about the memory
saving procedure further developed since that time,
even if implies changing operation system (es, Ubuntu, Windows 7, ...)
or calling external routines written in C\C++, etc.

If you are interested in the notebook I have mentioned before,
please, download it from:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UNTZCAV8

Yours sincerely
Enrico