Re: calculate vertex of a parabola

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg112791] Re: calculate vertex of a parabola
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 04:53:44 -0400 (EDT)

Yes, of course when students are learning about completing the square,
we want them to carry out the steps involved.

But once they have mastered it, to continue to insist they carry out
those steps can become as pointless as to insist, for example, that they
still extract square-roots using a paper-and-pencil algorithm.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305