Re: ProgressIndicator and ParallelTable problem :(

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg117968] Re: ProgressIndicator and ParallelTable problem :(
  • From: Eric Brown <eric.c.brown at mac.com>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 05:13:14 -0400 (EDT)

I used to be bothered by this, until I reasoned that it's not a well-defined task.

Say there are ten tasks that need to be processed in a ParallelTable, and I have a quad-processor.  Also, consider that each task might take a different amount of time.

So, things start off fine, Task 1 is on Processor 1, Task 2 is on Processor 2, etc.

1 -> 1
2 -> 2
3 -> 3
4 -> 4

So what is the index for ProgressIndicator?  I would say 4, but 1 would be just as valid.

Now let 2,3, and 4 finish sooner than 1.  Now,

1->1
5->2
6->3
7->4

So what is the index for ProgressIndicator?  7 or 1?

I totally see what you want to do.  I ended up cutting the problem into batches and monitoring progress on those instead.

Eric