Re: What are the issues with Wolfram demonstration site these days?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg118123] Re: What are the issues with Wolfram demonstration site these days?
  • From: Syd Geraghty <sydgeraghty at me.com>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 05:53:40 -0400 (EDT)

Nasser,

Now that I removed the CDF Player/Plug-in from my browsers I can load and replay multiple Demonstrations OK (just got 8 running in Safari in individual tabs).

However it is annoying that the Demonstration is partially obscured by an admonition to get the Free Wolfram CDF player and Interact Now!

In an update to a related thread:

Re: CDF browser plugin and Wolfram library archive - Saving Demonstrations Source Notebooks

Where I had written about Heike Gramberg's solution:

"Thanks very much Heike!

The programmatic solution works beautifully.

> SetOptions[SelectedNotebook[], Saveable -> True]"

There is an interesting problem that if you save a downloaded Demonstrations Source File named:

Orbits of Martin's Map-source

as

Orbits of Martin's Map

then OSX thinks the name of the saved notebook  is "Orbits of Martin's Map" whilst the Mathematica 8 still displays the notebook name "Orbits of Martin's Map-source".

This bizarre behavior is at best a poor feature if not a bug.

Cutting and pasting the body of the notebook to a new notebook is the only workaround I have found to get rid of the "-source" notebook name.

Clearly the Demonstrations site needs some additional work.

Cheers .... Syd

Syd Geraghty B.Sc, M.Sc.

sydgeraghty at mac.com

Mathematica 8.0 for Mac OS X x86 (64-bit) (February 23, 2011)
ReleaseID:    8.0.1.0 (2063982, 2063639)
MacOS X V 10.6.7 Snow Leopard
MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo  2GB RAM