Re: Function Option Names

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg118248] Re: Function Option Names
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 19:15:25 -0400 (EDT)

As far as I recall, originally all option values were symbolic. (There
may have been a few exceptions long ago for values of the Method option,
though.)

For many options, quite obviously you want as possible values things
that you need as built-in symbols in any case, e.g., Red.

I think the simple explanation is that the number of possible options
began to mushroom, and Wolfram just didn't want to introduce all those
new symbols; so they used string values instead.

Perhaps a more reasonable thing to do now, in hindsight, would be to
make all or most options string-valued. But then that would break an
awful lot of code.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305