Re: RegionGrowing function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg120693] Re: RegionGrowing function
  • From: Matthias Odisio <matthias at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 19:21:24 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Dilek,

On 8/3/11 6:39 AM, Dilek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am just new user mathematica. I clearly want to know below codes mean?
>  Especially this part:  RegionGrowing[{imageFilled}, {{1, 1}}, 1,
> cost];...........???
> I have tried to research in wolfram website about it but I could't take
> any result.
> Please help me about this problem.
>

> cost = Function[{positionValues, neighborValues},
>    First[neighborValues] < 1];
> edge = RegionGrowing[{imageFilled}, {{1, 1}}, 1, cost];
> RasterPlot[edge]
> edge2 = edge - imageFilled
> middlecells = RegionGrowing[{-edge2 + 1}, {{1, 1}}, 1, cost];
> RasterPlot[middlecells];

Mathematica 8 features a function which performs segmentation using
region growing. But it is called RegionBinarize, not RegionGrowing,
and its syntax is different from your example; see the documentation
here:
http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/ref/RegionBinarize.html. You
may also want to look at the documentation for FillingTransform --
given the name of the variable your code uses, it's probably a
preprocessing step in your algorithm.

To fully understand your piece of code, you need to find the
definition of RegionGrowing.

Matthias Odisio
Wolfram Research