am I correctly perceiving a weakness in FinancialDerivative[] ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg120712] am I correctly perceiving a weakness in FinancialDerivative[] ?
  • From: Michael Stern <nycstern at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2011 02:13:07 -0400 (EDT)

It would seem that one of the most natural uses of the new built-in
FinancialDerivative function would be to solve for its inputs. However,
the functions seems to be structured to make this impossible.

For example, given the price and other aspects of a European call
options, I tried to solve for implied volatility. No luck

NSolve[FinancialDerivative[{"European",
     "Call"}, {"StrikePrice" -> 141,
     "Expiration" -> .08},  {"InterestRate" -> 0.005,
     "Volatility" -> x, "CurrentPrice" -> 142.}] == 6., x]

FinancialDerivative::checknumeric: Parameters {Volatility->x} cannot
have non-numeric values. >>

Is there some trick here I'm missing?

Michael Stern
Merrin Capital Management