Re: Odd glitch opening Mathematica notebook on a Mac

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg120860] Re: Odd glitch opening Mathematica notebook on a Mac
  • From: dr DanW <dmaxwarren at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 06:48:54 -0400 (EDT)

Completely speculation on my part, but maybe some of your older notebooks are using an external stylesheet that is no longer on your system.

One thing I do when I am working with old, legacy notebooks is drag them into TextWrangler,  delete everything outside Notebook[{...}] and all the options in Notebook.  This makes sure that I am not trying to load in any cached data or old notebook options, including stylesheets.  Usually, this clears up any weirdness like you are describing.

This is particularly useful when I am opening old .MA files (yes, I still have some).  After the automatic conversion to .nb, the notebook displays in a really tiny font.  I still don't know why, but cleaning out the cache and option information in the .nb, restarting Mathematica (again, don't know why), and re-opening the file fixes this.

Daniel