Shooting method

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg120960] Shooting method
  • From: Joao Pereira <joaopereira9 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 06:33:28 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, I'm fairly new to Mathematica and I'm trying to solve a problem using the shooting method. I wonder if you could help me?

I have a system of 6 nonlinear ODE of order 1, three of them have initial conditions, the other three have terminal conditions. I'm trying to use the shooting method to guess the 3 missing initial consitions. The problem I have is that I get several error messages regarding inderteminate expression/ComplexInfinity and Power::1/0 encountered. I also get a message of non numerical value found for a derivative at the intial period.

I am not specifying guesses for the starting conditions, but I think Mathematica automatically does that.

Bottom line, I do not know if the errors I'm finding are a result of a misuse of the shooting method, or if it is something wrong in the way the problem is specified.

Best regards

Joao Pereira