Re: decoding inbuilt function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg121037] Re: decoding inbuilt function
  • From: Ralph Dratman <ralph.dratman at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 03:15:20 -0400 (EDT)

If a student comes to your office saying she cannot seem to understand this
"limit" thingy, I wonder if you would wish to say, "Don't feel too bad, Ms
Liddell. No one in our department understands limits much better than you
do! Anyway, not enough to program a computer to do them. Only Wolfram has
the algorithm for that."

This seems unconscionable to me. But then, I didn't realize taking limits
was so difficult. In order to differentiate something, obviously you have to
take a limit. Yet I never heard of anything one couldn't manage to
differentiate. And then having the derivative of a function would surely
help in taking other limits involving that function. What's the big
difficulty?

Ralph