Re: Incompletely simplified Square root.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg121069] Re: Incompletely simplified Square root.
  • From: DrMajorBob <btreat1 at austin.rr.com>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 05:22:59 -0400 (EDT)

Because you went out of your way to prevent it!

TagBox is not a number (of any kind), so applying N to it doesn't give a
Real.

In twelve of years of using Mathematica, I have never used TagBox,
FractionBox, or PolynomialForm, and your example doesn't tempt me to
start. I see no need for such oddities, especially those, like
PolynomialForm, which are undocumented.

Bobby

DrMajorBob at yahoo.com