Difference table via DifferenceDelta[ ]. Why do I need two Table[ ] calls?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg121153] Difference table via DifferenceDelta[ ]. Why do I need two Table[ ] calls?
  • From: "Christopher O. Young" <cy56 at comcast.net>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 07:40:55 -0400 (EDT)

The following gives me a difference table for x^3, but it would be nice if I
could do it with only 1 Table call.

Grid[
 Table[
  Table[
    DifferenceDelta[x^3, {x, n}] // Evaluate,
   {x, -6, 6 - n + 1}
   ]
  , {n, 1, 3}
  ],
 Alignment -> Right
 ]

The following hangs up, though. I have to abort it after several minutes of
nothing happening.

Table[
 DifferenceDelta[x^3, {x, n}] // Evaluate,
 {n, 1, 3}
]

Any help appreciated.

Chris Young