can SystemOpen[] work under Parallels Desktop or VMware Fusion?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg123314] can SystemOpen[] work under Parallels Desktop or VMware Fusion?
  • From: Barrie Stokes <Barrie.Stokes at newcastle.edu.au>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2011 05:51:37 -0500 (EST)

Dear MathGroup

I have recently discovered the power of the command SystemOpen[].

(Using SystemOpen[] you can make very handy buttons that open, say, PDF file *with Acrobat* with, e.g.,

Button["fileName", SystemOpen["pathToFileName.pdf"],  Background -> RGBColor[  0.5, 0.5, 0.7]],

or Word docs in Word with Button["fileName", SystemOpen["pathToFileName.doc"],  Background -> RGBColor[  0.5, 0.5, 0.7]].)

It is the general version of NotebookOpen[], which opens .nb and .cdf files (in Mathematica).

I have just now tested a hypothesis, and found that SystemOpen[] opens .nb and .cdf files too, so it would seem that SystemOpen[] is all one needs. (?)

My questions:

I intend to set up Parallels Desktop or VMware Fusion running on a MacBook Pro (lots of RAM and disk), giving me access to Mathematica running under Lion, and at the same time a never-to-be-ported-to-Mac-Windows-only program (uses filename.odc files) installed under Windows 7.

(i) Can SystemOpen[] reach across the divide - given sufficient path details - and launch (with the Windows-only program) a filename.odc file in the Windows 7 "partition"?

(ii) Can Import[] then reach across the divide - given sufficient path details - and read in a file newly created in the Windows 7 "partition" by said Windows-only program?

Thanks

Barrie