NIntegrate with AdaptiveMonteCarlo gives different results

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg123350] NIntegrate with AdaptiveMonteCarlo gives different results
  • From: "Mantovani Sarti Valentina" <smantovani at fe.infn.it>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 07:22:50 -0500 (EST)

 Hello everybody,
 I am dealing with a three dimensional integral and I am using
 NIntegrate. Searching the web I found out that the best method is the
 AdaptiveMonteCarlo, which also speed up the calculation.
 this is the integral, no particular singular points:

 test[d_] := (0.5  NIntegrate[(compnx[x, y, z, d] +
         compny[x, y, z, d] + compnz[x, y, z, d]), {z, -R - d/2,
        R + d/2}, {x, -R, R}, {y, -R, R},
       Method ->  "MultiDimensionalRule"]*hc) // Timing

 so I want to calculate it for different values of the parameter d, but
 for example if I successively calculate it for d=4 i get two different
 results which differs of about 30-50 MeV.

 Does anyone know if it is a bug or how could I fix it?

 Thanks in advance.

--
Mantovani Sarti Valentina, Ph.D. student
e-mail: smantovani at fe.infn.it
tel. (+39)0532-974.353
INFN - Sezione di Ferrara
c/o Department of Physics (Blocco C)