Image Processing

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg123392] Image Processing
  • From: pjf <paul-fons at aist.go.jp>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 05:16:01 -0500 (EST)

We have a collection of about 500 GB of 16 bit images that represent
diffraction data taken by a CCD.  In a field of approxiamtely 10^6
pixes, we need to find patterns within a relatively large radially
symmetric background function (stemming from an amophous background).
A "data point" typically consists of a group of 3-5 pixels that are
about 20% above background.  We want to be able to compare the
intensities of data points from different images so we need to be
careful about techniques that will loose this intensity information.
If we perform a maximum intensity projection on the thousands of
images we have, we can see (as expected) that the data points (spots)
like on well defined narrow radially symetric rings (Debye-Scherrer
rings).  I was hoping to solicit suggestions for how best to track
down the needle in the hay type signal we are looking for.  Wavelet
processing came to mind.  Are there any suggestions out there?  Thanks.