Passing function to custom plotting routine

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg123393] Passing function to custom plotting routine
  • From: Chris Young <cy56 at comcast.net>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 05:16:12 -0500 (EST)

I'm not getting the same plot as I did before when I try to pass the
function to the contourPlot routine below. I'm hoping that the "p"
variable will be controlled by the Locator, but the plot isn't the
same: it starts off with solid blue, there seem to be two sets of
contours, and I get "overflow" errors.

f[p_, z_] := Tanh[p ^z];

contourPlot[f_] :=
 Manipulate[
  ContourPlot[
   f,
   {x, -5, 5}, {y, -4, 4},
   Contours -> contours,
   PlotPoints -> plotPts,
   MaxRecursion -> maxRecurs,
   Axes -> True,
   ImageSize -> {300, 4/5 300},
   AspectRatio -> 4/5
   ],

  {{p, {1, 1}}, Locator},
  {{contours, 5}, 0, 80, 5},
  {{plotPts, 20}, 10, 80, 5},
  {{maxRecurs, 1}, 1, 10, 1}
  ]

contourPlot[Arg @ f[p, x + I y]]

Below is the direct routine (with a few additional options).

Manipulate[
 ContourPlot[
  Arg[Tanh[(p[[1]] + I p[[2]]) ^(x + I y)]],
  {x, -5, 5}, {y, -4, 4},
  Contours -> contours,
  PlotPoints -> plotPts,
  MaxRecursion -> maxRecurs,
  Axes -> True,
  ImageSize -> {300, 4/5 300},
  AspectRatio -> 4/5,
  PlotRange -> {-zRange, zRange},
  ClippingStyle -> {LightGreen, Pink},
  Exclusions -> {Cosh[(p[[1]] + I p[[2]]) ^(x + I y)] == 0},
  PerformanceGoal -> "Quality"
  ],

 {{p, {1, 1}}, Locator},
 {{contours, 5}, 0, 80, 5},