Re: 100 rows and 100 columns random matrix

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg123459] Re: 100 rows and 100 columns random matrix
  • From: Heike Gramberg <heike.gramberg at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 05:23:21 -0500 (EST)

The syntax of Count is Count[ list, pattern] or Count[list, pattern,
levelspec] where pattern is a pattern specification, and levelspec is a
level specification to tell Mathematica at what levels in list to look
for the elements you want to count . To learn more about patterns, you
could for example read the introduction to patterns in the documentation
of Mathematica.

For this particular example, you could do something like

Count[a, b_ /; 0 <= b < .5, {2}]

The construct b_ /; 0<= b< .5 basically means any expression b which
satisfies the condition 0 <= b < .5. I'm specifying levelspec {2}
because I'm only interested in element appearing at level 2 in a.

Heike