Re: Need help integrating Wolfram Alpha data in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg123445] Re: Need help integrating Wolfram Alpha data in Mathematica
  • From: Barrie Stokes <Barrie.Stokes at newcastle.edu.au>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 05:20:38 -0500 (EST)

Hi Bob

Do you get these results?

In[1]:= protonMass =
 WolframAlpha["proton mass in kilograms", "ComputableData"][[1]]
Precision[ protonMass ] (*	Precision[x] gives the effective number
of \
digits of precision in the number x.

 *)
Accuracy[ protonMass ] (* Accuracy [x] gives the effective number of \
digits to the right of the decimal point in the numberx. *)

Out[1]= 1.6726217*10^-27

Out[2]= 7.2701

Out[3]= 34.0467

In[4]:= Precision[ protonMass ] + 27

Out[4]= 34.2701

In[5]:= Needs["PhysicalConstants`"]
ProtonMass
Precision[ ProtonMass ]
Accuracy[ ProtonMass ]

Out[6]= 1.67262*10^-27 Kilogram

Out[7]= MachinePrecision

Out[8]= 42.7312

In[9]:= $MachinePrecision

Out[9]= 15.9546

In[10]:= $MachinePrecision + 27

Out[10]= 42.9546

Hmm. I wonder what is going on here.

BTW,  Wikipedia gives 1.672621777(74)*10^(*27) kg,

and

proton mass = 1.67262158 * 10-27 kilograms is the first Google hit for
"mass of a proton".

Barrie

<201112060812.DAA18403 at smc.vnet.net>, Bob
Hanlon <hanlonr357 at gmail.com> wrote:
> WolframAlpha["proton mass in kilograms","ComputableData"][[1]]
>
> 1.6726217*10^-27
>
> Needs["PhysicalConstants`"]
>
> ProtonMass
>
> 1.67262*10^-27 Kilogram
>

> Bob Hanlon
>
> On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 5:17 AM, Dave M <cvk1812 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm using Wolfram Mathematica 8, and I have a question about using
Wolfram
> Alpha data in my calculations.
>>
>> What I would like to do is to pull data from the Wolfram Alpha
search
> engine, and then store it in a Mathematica variable for future use. I
cannot
> figure out how to do this easily.
>>
>> To illustrate what I mean, here's a simple example. Let's say I want
the
> mass of a proton in kilograms. I can obtain this by simply typing "==
mass of
> proton in kilograms", upon which Mathematica contacts the Wolfram
Alpha
> server, and downloads a lot of data.
>>
>> This data doesn't only contain the actual number I wanted, it is
actually a
> huge table with many cells containing information about how Wolfram
Alpha