Re: color-bar legend for the LisContourPlot

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg123566] Re: color-bar legend for the LisContourPlot
  • From: Armand Tamzarian <mike.honeychurch at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 03:48:28 -0500 (EST)

On Dec 10, 11:36 pm, Jacopo Bertolotti <jacopo.bertolo... at gmail.com>
wrote:
> I encountered a very similar problem and I am also searching for a
> solution that do not involve either ShowLegend or a third-part package.
> The very best I came up with is something like
> GraphicsRow[{ListContourPlot[RandomReal[30, {10, 10}],
>     InterpolationOrder -> 3, ColorFunction -> "LakeColors"],
>    MatrixPlot[Transpose@{Table[i, {i, 1, 30}]},
>     FrameTicks -> {{None, {1, 10, 20, 30}}, {None, None}},
>     ColorFunction -> "LakeColors"]}]
> that is still far from ideal. Anyone with suggestions is welcomed.
>
> Jacopo
>
> On 12/09/2011 11:54 AM, Karamiarokhloo, M.P. (Mehdipasha) wrote:
>

> > Dear All,
>
> > I am using Mathematica 7 and have difficulties to plot the ListContourPlot
> > of ocean data with a neat color bar (legend).
> > For example if I have a temperature field range between {-2,30}, and I use
> > the ColorFunction Rainbow,
> > I cannot include a color-bar which has the same number of contours as the contourplot, and it does not show the related numbers for each color-shade.
> > The ShowLegend function of Mathematica is very primitive.
> > Has any body any suggestion?
>
> > Thanks you.
> > P.Karami

BTW in the post I sent a few minutes ago I noticed that the legend
colours aren't scaled right. I'm not sure why actually.
ColorFunctionScaling should scale between 0 and 1 that but it doesn't
appear to be doing that -- unless I am misunderstanding the usage. I
never use these plot types so I might be missing something but would
be interested if someone could explain. In any case if you rescale
yourself and switch ColorFunctionScaling off it seems to work:

MatrixPlot[Transpose@{Table[i, {i, 0, 30}]/30},
 AspectRatio -> plotheights/legendwidth,
 FrameTicks -> {{None, {1, 10, 20, 30}}, {None, None}},
 ImageSize -> {legendwidth + 21, plotheights + 2},
 PlotRangePadding -> 0, ImagePadding -> {{1, 20}, {1, 1}},
 ColorFunction -> "LakeColors", ColorFunctionScaling -> False]

Mike