"Need tutor" scam on newsgroup?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg123627] "Need tutor" scam on newsgroup?
  • From: Chris Young <cy56 at comcast.net>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 05:43:47 -0500 (EST)

Just after posting something in reply to

> 	From:	é?? å?? <shlwell1988 at gmail.com>
> 	Newsgroups:	comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica
> 	Subject:	Complex diagram
> 	Date:	Wed, 7 Dec 2011 11:22:32 +0000 (UTC)
>
> Can we draw complex funtions's diagram in Mathematica?
>
> For example, draw the picture of z=2*x+I*3*y

I got a request for a tutor that relied on the old
I-send-you-check-with-extra-and-you-send-difference scam. This relies
on criminally corrupt banking laws that say that a bank has no
responsibility to verify the validity of a check and can take the money
back if the check bounces, no matter after how long a period. You think
the check was OK when you get it cashed, you send the guy the "extra"
$400, the check bounces, the bank takes all the money out of your
account, and you're out at least $400.

Here's what I got. All the exclamation marks, and the phony lingo made
me check out tutoring scams on Google, but not before I'd sent out more
personal info than I should have.

http://www.silverplanet.com/scams/internet-safety/tutors-beware-clients-arent-always-who-they-seem/55351

> The scam we kept reading about was where someone places an ad about a
> child who will be visiting the United States and needs some tutoring.
> The education need varies, and often a â??nannyâ?? is part of the picture.
> The arrangement involves an advance payment of several thousand dollars
> by the â??parent,â?? with the request that the tutor take a portion of it
> and wire the rest to the nanny.
> If you havenâ??t heard of advance fee scams, thatâ??s what this is. The
> check you would deposit is phony, but the difference in the amount that
> youâ??re supposed to send the nanny is coming from your bank account.
> Thatâ??s real money. So youâ??re about to be out a big chunk of change.
> The Berkeley Parents Network, a parent-to-parent email network in the
> San Francisco Bay area, put up a warning that this scam was targeting
> tutors who posted to its site and other sites, including Craigslist. It
> noted the following:
> In another case, a tutor was told he would be flown to the clientâ??s
> country of residence for a full-time contract, but first he had to pay
> for airfare and other items to be shipped to him.

Watch out for these vermin. I think they pose as "newbies" and if
anyone sounds overly helpful or trusting, they figure he's a pigeon.
Excuse me, "shlwell1988 at gmail.com" if you're a legitimate poster, but
the whole thing started right after my reply to you.

Chris Young