Re: NMinimize problem: fct minimized uses FindRoot

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg123646] Re: NMinimize problem: fct minimized uses FindRoot
  • From: "Oleksandr Rasputinov" <oleksandr_rasputinov at hmamail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 06:01:21 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 10:54:13 -0000, Oliver Ruebenkoenig
<ruebenko at wolfram.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Dec 2011, Oleksandr Rasputinov wrote:
>
>> For example, the erroneous usage:
>>
>> Block[{a = 1, b = 2}, Return[a]; Return[b]]
>
> You can "fix" this by using
>
> Block[{a = 1, b = 2}, Return[a, Block]; Return[b]]
>
> but Throw/Catch is probably a better bet.
>
> Oliver

Interesting; this two-argument form of Return seems like it could be quite
useful. However, as far as I can see, this possibility has never been
listed on the main page for Return, nor on those for Break or Continue
(with which a second argument can also be used), even though it has been
allowed since version 4 at the latest. The only documentation that I could
find suggesting that it exists at all is for the message (Return::nofunc)
that one sees after using it incorrectly. Is this likely to change in
future, or has it been left deliberately undocumented to discourage its
use?