Re: color-bar legend for the LisContourPlot

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg123642] Re: color-bar legend for the LisContourPlot
  • From: Dan <dflatin at rcn.com>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 06:00:36 -0500 (EST)

On Dec 9, 5:55 am, "Karamiarokhloo, M.P. (Mehdipasha)"
<M.P.Karamiarokh... at uu.nl> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am using Mathematica 7 and have difficulties to plot the ListContourPlot
> of ocean data with a neat color bar (legend).
> For example if I have a temperature field range between {-2,30}, and I use
> the ColorFunction Rainbow,
> I cannot include a color-bar which has the same number of contours as the contourplot, and it does not show the related numbers for each color-shade.
> The ShowLegend function of Mathematica is very primitive.
> Has any body any suggestion?
>
> Thanks you.
> P.Karami

I like using Grid for this, and in general for constructing compound
plots. For the legend, I use a trick I learned from David Park in this
forum. Just make another contour plot. This gives you great control
over choice and labeling of the contours. Here is a simple example
where I have identified the various layout elements explicitly.

With[{
  zmin=-2,zmax=2,delz=0.5,datasize={10,10},
  plotW=300,plotH=300,legendW,
  ticklblW=30,ticklblH,grout=2,
  colorset="ArmyColors"},

  Module[{data,contours},
    contours=Range[zmin,zmax,delz];
    data=RandomReal[{zmin,zmax},datasize];

    Grid[{{
      ListContourPlot[data,InterpolationOrder->3,Contours->contours,
        ImagePadding->{{ticklblW+grout,grout},{ticklblH+grout,grout}},
        ImageSize->{plotW+ticklblW+2grout,plotH+ticklblH+2grout},
        AspectRatio->plotH/plotW,
        ColorFunction->colorset],
      ContourPlot[y,{x,0,1},{y,zmin,zmax},Contours->contours,
        ImagePadding->{{grout,ticklblW+grout},{ticklblH+grout,grout}},
        ImageSize->{legendW+ticklblW+2grout,plotH+ticklblH+2grout},
        AspectRatio->plotH/legendW,
        FrameTicks->{{None,contours},{None,None}},
        ColorFunction->colorset]
    }}]
  ]
]