R: Plots come out blank except for certain limits

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg123659] R: Plots come out blank except for certain limits
  • From: "Sir Bob Kinght" <sir.bob.knight at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 04:51:37 -0500 (EST)

Hi John,
the problem is the assignment of the function f[a, b]. Indeed, the right
code is:

f[a_, b_] = Integrate[.......]

the difference is the use of symbol _ for each input parameter, that is a_
instead of a and b_ instead of b.

Try with a smaller example to better understand the meaning of such
terminology.

Define a function like the following

In[10]:= g[a, b] = a Cos[x] + b Sin[x]
Out[10]= a Cos[x] + b Sin[x]

And see its definition

In[11]:= ?? g

Global`g
g[a,b]=a Cos[x]+b Sin[x]

it means that g will come into force only when called with the two symbols a
and b literally. No other inputs will trigger the evaluation of the right
hand side of your definition.
Try
In[12]:= g[1, 1]
Out[12]= g[1, 1]

This is right because 1 is neither a or b.

On the other hand, if you define

g[a_, b_] = <something>

it means that g will accept "any input" as first and second argument and
"then" will assign the name a and b to them in order to evaluate the right
hand side of the definition.

Take a look at the following docs in the Mathematica Documentation Center

tutorial/DefiningFunctions
tutorial/ImmediateAndDelayedDefinitions

hope this helps,
~roberto