Re: NMinimize problem: fct minimized uses FindRoot

Hello,
I didn't understand the rationale for the "do not use Return" maxim, so
I constructed a little experiment:

(****** snip start *******)
(*list of lists of random lengths*)
temp = RandomInteger[{0, 100}, #] & /@ RandomInteger[{1, 100},
100000];

(*artificial examples of using Throw or Return*)

returnExample[x_] := Module[
  {max, min},
  If[Total[x] < 100, Return[0]];
  {max, min} = {Max[x], Min[x]};
  max^min
  ]

throwExample[x_] := Module[
  {max, min},
  If[Total[x] < 100, Throw[0]];
  {max, min} = {Max[x], Min[x]};
  max^min
  ]

(*timings*)
Timing[returnExample /@ temp;]
(*I get: {1.08535, Null}*)

Timing[Catch[throwExample[#]] & /@ temp;]

(*I get: {1.20134, Null}*)

(*******snip end********)

OK, this is artificial, but how do I understand why Return is eschewed
when it appears to be faster and its construction is simpler?

Thanks, Craig

W Craig Carter
Professor of Materials Science, MIT

<akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
> wrote:
>

>> On 12 Dec 2011, at 12:43, Oleksandr Rasputinov wrote:
>>
>>> For example, the erroneous usage:
>>>
>>> Block[{a = 1, b = 2}, Return[a]; Return[b]]
>>>
>>> gives:
>>>
>>> Return[1]
>>>
>>> but a correct usage:
>>>
>>> Do[Block[{a = 1, b = 2}, Return[a]; Return[b]], {1}]
>>>
>>> gives (because of the enclosing Do):
>>>
>>> 1
>>
>> This is not quite the whole story. For example, while the above use
of
>> Return in Block does not work, this one (in a function call) does:
>>
>> f[] := Block[{a = 1, b = 2}, Return[a]; Return[b]]
>>
>> f[]
>>
>> 1
>>
>> Moreover, if you replace the Do loop in your example with a While
loop,
>> you will get:
>>
>> n = 1; While[n < 10, Block[{a = 1, b = 2}, Return[a];
Return[b]]]